Rating: 5 stars
Lucy is appeared as weak. (And most of her family make her believe she’s worthless) Octavia is the strong one according to everyone else. The family is afraid that Lucy will lose her fight with Ra, and that the demon will be free to unleash its evil on the world. Octavia is trained to kill her sister on the day she is to battle Ra, not even considering helping her sister either just killing her. Things go to the deep end, Octavia is possessed by Ra and Lucy is murdered. Lucy comes back from the dead, determined to save her sister from the clutches of Ra.
First off, behold the beauty of the cover!
I will not lie when I saw this cover on Netgalley I jumped on it without even reading what it was about. A very fatal flaw about me! But I’m so glad I requested this and got it! It was amazing!
While reading I recommend:
Tea: I was drinking Mint Mosaic Green tea while reading this because I needed the caffeine to stay up. I couldn’t put this book down!
- I loved the Egyptian undertones and different kinds of lore wrapped into one intriguing fantasy world.
- The flashbacks of all the main characters really shed the light on how they got to this point in their lives. I admired how beautifully Catherine Schaff-Stump wove the past and present seamlessly into this book!
- The characters were all on different sides of the moral and ethical scales. Which I personally loved.
- The romance in this is very heated! (There is more action than romance too!) And there is a little love triangle thing going on. And it’s not the kind where it’s annoying either. It fits and saddens me, to be honest.
- When the action and violence were happening, my heart was pounding and was reading faster just to see who was going to survive!
- Lucy, I loved her character and also wanted to shake her, in the beginning, to tell her she was beautiful and unique! Of course, though she couldn’t hear me! When she came back from the dead though is when she really made me root for her. She was so badass!
- Carlos Borgia was my absolute favorite lanky little boy I want to protect from EVERYTHING! He’s honorable and wants to do whats right always. His grandfather, on the other hand, is well… I’ll quote when of my favorite shows that sum up his grandfather for me:
- And Octavia… well I certainly appreciated having a character that had a dark side with her lust for power and love. It’s human to want. And she definitely wanted all of it. She’s a character I’m between loving and hating for some reason.
- The demon familiars were my favorite side characters! Their sass was everything to me! And Khun can do as he pleases if I was in that book(: I adored him.
- That I have to wait for the second book now!
This book will release from Curiosity Quills Press on September 12, 2017!
I gave this a five-star rating simply because it was a fast read, and I really enjoyed the world in The Vessel of Ra. Plus, totally reread material! And for me to reread a book that is a truly great piece of work(:
Get this book when it comes out, you will regret it if you don’t! I know I will be buying a physical copy to add to my bookshelf 🙂
*I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Curiosity Quills Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.*